If you have a carport, you have a roof and a floor and at least one wall. So, what next? Should you convert your carport into a garage?
Here are 6 Good Reasons that Say it’s a Good Idea.
1. A Garage Increases the Value of Your Home. Just think it through. If you were a buyer that found two homes that were identical in every way except one had a garage and one had a carport, which one would you buy? The garage is an easy answer and you’d probably be willing to pay a higher price for the home with a garage. It’s a trick real estate investors and house-flippers know well. Converting a carport into a garage is a relatively easy and inexpensive way to raise the price and maximize profits.
2. A Garage Is Better For Your Car. Sure, a carport will protect the paint from the sun, but it won’t stop a hailstone that angles its way in – ditto for flying debris or rain so hard that it’s slanting into the space. If you have a car you value, a garage will do a much better job of protecting it from everything Mother Nature can throw at a car in a carport.
3. A Garage Doesn’t Just Protect Against Theft; It Protects Against Vandalism. Whether it’s your car or the stuff you have stacked in the corner of the carport, it’s not a locked space. That means you are not just telling thief to help themselves; you are also inviting vandalism. A garage is a locked door to keep both thieves and vandals outside!
4. A Garage Can Keep Critters Out! If you live in an area that has pack rats, you know how much they love to make a nest in your engine – all those wires and rubber tubes are just about perfect for their decorating and gnawing purposes. Then, there are snakes, poisonous or not, mice, raccoons and bugs. There are lots of cold-blooded and warm-blooded visitors just looking for a home. Your car in an open carport may look like a hotel to them.
5. A Garage Gives You Storage. Pick from a variety of shelves, cabinets, drawers and hooks designed to help you store things in your garage. Or, just stick to those big rubber containers. A garage gives you space to store things and a locked door to keep them safe.
6. A Garage Can Be Anything You Want. A garage is a traditional place to set up a workbench and hang up your tools. It gives you a place to tackle those small home improvements and fix-it chores. Your workshop can be as simple as some pegboard and a table or you can build a professional work space. Not handy? You still have all that space so decide what you want to do in your garage!
With the basic structure already in place, converting a carport to a garage can be a DIY job or you can hire a professional. No matter who builds the basic structure make sure that you have a professional garage door company install the door for you. Garage doors are big (huge), heavy moving objects and you want to make sure that the installation is done right to keep you and your things safe. Auto-reverse is mandated. You also want to make sure that the garage door opener has all the features you want. Today, they can do everything from turning on the lights to telling you if someone left the garage door open. Your garage door company and show you all the features and make sure that the new door is both safe and functional.